Here's a listing of known DIY KitchenAid mixer attachment projects.
- aka47 built a ball mill (for grinding solids to fine powder), using air tubing as a flexible driveshaft
Cavatelli (Shell Pasta/Gnocchi) MakerEdit
- riccarollo has modified three hand-crank cavatelli makers for KA power (and also sells one version)
Chocolate Tempering MachinesEdit
- mehdichellaoui built a direct drive rotating disc and platform to elevate the heat source near axis
- jeffkobi, the project that started most of the rest of us on the coffee grinder attachment road. Demonstrated the use of the Milescraft 1390 90 degree drill adapter which other projects have followed.
- Mike and Molly, using a pepper grinder instead of one of the Hario/Kyocera burr grinders.
- Chinasaur, based on 3D printed plastic parts and off the shelf components for people without access to a serious shop.
- mosescoffee, nice cheap methods for stabilizing parts.
- CODGET has 3D printed stainless steel adapters for Hario burr grinders, including notably the pentagonal drive on the Hario slim. The adapters are designed for driving directly with a power drill, but should be compatible for the Milescraft 90 degree adapter.
Taffy Pulling MachinesEdit
- bedtime4bonzos built this as a gift for his girlfriend, sacrificing a KA can opener attachment
- KitchenAid sells their own pasta making attachments but they are quite expensive. It is possible to connect a manual crank pasta machine to the KitchenAid mixer attachment hub. Check out this DIY from Kallistii at imgur.com, who salvages an already broken Rotor Shredder/Slicer attachment to make a modular attachment for pasta roller and cutter attachments.
Ice Cream MakersEdit
- LeeroyLee, this is an inversion of the other projects. He has a KitchenAid brand ice cream maker attachment and is trying to drive it with a hand drill instead of a KitchenAid mixer.
Several projects have also been suggested but not started
- Ice shaver, suggested by jeffkobi over on Instructables. (The Rotor Slicer/Shredder attachment RVS-A shaves ice with one of its blades, so this may be moot.)
- Coconut scraper (standard rotating serrated ball on a shaft, as available from Indian and Asian stores) for shredding coconut flesh from its shell. This should be a very straight-forward mod, requiring only a single straight connection to the square drive.